Thursday, February 3, 2011

Blizzard-zilla


Kalamazoo Proper got hit with this storm around 5pm or so. By 9pm all the side streets were covered with snow and a full on urban assault was made. Skiing from my door, down Main street off into the neighborhood. This was the Mouth of blizzard-zilla, consistent 25 mph winds, 40 mph gusts. Blowing snow, freezing temps and low visability- essentially perfect conditions to go on a urban backcountry nordic ski.

There was only one picture taken during this adventure, all the video was way too dark. There were 4 of us, we had fun.



Wow- video of my skiing really highlights that i am not very good, my form is kinda sketchy. I believe that video of my skating might make me looks similar.  Importantly- my lack of skill does not translate into lack of fun.

For you big mountain folks out there this place must look particularly pathetic- but for being a mere 10 minute ski from my house, being totally free, and in the middle of an urban area- it is rad.

The Chicago tribune has a large gallery of the aftermath of Blizzard-zilla on that city. Please note that there is more than one picture of people taking to the streets on skis- and there a few grumpy adults...but there are a lot more photos of kids having a great time.

No comments:

Post a Comment