Friday, March 11, 2011

Ode to the Dog Star


  - As the last vestiges of snow melt away the outdoor skate parks have opened up.  I skated in the 80s- launch ramps, banks, the beginning of the street scene. Constantly on the look out for architecture or over zealous paving that created spots to flow, grind, and slide on.  I got out of skateboarding because i got into girls, backpacking, climbing and other things that I thought were "safer."  Frost bite from winter backpacking, two kids, and lead climbing at Devils Lake started to remind me that living life is not safe- it is dangerous business.  So, they built Upjohn skatepark in downtown Kalamazoo and I thought...that it was better to skate and die than wish I was skating and rot.

I got back into skiing to get the stoke that i had lost when i stopped skating..and now i skate to keep the stoke going when there is no snow.


The First deck i got was a Schmitt Stix Yard Stick re-issue.  36 inches of fun. But as I started to progress i found that having a more modern double kick design was confidence inspiring when hitting the coping so i searched around and landed on pool king skateboards.

i ended up with the Dogstar- which admittedly has a little of the cutting board feel of a big solid maple board. I have really enjoyed this deck so far though. The folks at pool king were super nice, originally from Michigan, and were very interested in getting and old skater back on a deck.

I am certainly not pulling off any sweet ollie tricks, but this deck locks my feet in and is tons of fun.





it is better to burn out than it is to rust


No comments:

Post a Comment