Monday, February 2, 2015

rather be off piste- short trip report to checker mountain


Kalamazoo and the rest of west michigan got dumped on..super bowl sunday was used to ski all the hills that were paved- everyone else watched TV..i had the hills of west main to myself.  I skied some streets that I have had my eye on for a some time now.

Skiing really opened up to me when I realized that I live in a state where sudden snow falls can make streets, front yards, grave yards...and all sorts of urban landscapes completely wild and solitary again, even if only for a few hours after nightfall.  Yes, there is the occasional car, but you have planes that fly over any wilderness area in the United States..and considering it requires me only to step outside of my house.

So I toured for turns all over Kalamazoo's West Main Hill. I skied some steep streets,  post holed up to my thighs on the school grounds hill.  Put some stylish "S" marks on front lawns. This was vandalism and trespassing of course..very temporary though.


today- checker mountain/ markin glen was hit. My friends put on the plastics and rode lifts while i went xcd with system bindings. lots of up track for some really spectacular powder. 




                      

                               

                



                                                    

                        

No comments:

Post a Comment